Monday, August 25, 2003

Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting


froim my mail


----- Original Message -----
From: "espencer"
To:
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 1:36 AM
Subject: Re: Mystery solved!


> Hi Maggie
>
> Your story reminded me that a few years ago,
> I read in the newspaper that a couple were marrying
> and he was taking her name as he had brothers to
> carry on his name but his wifes name was the end
> of her line. We may, as yet, see many things.
> Lorraine Ottawa, Canada
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "David & Maggie Mattock"
> To:
> Sent: 24 August, 2003 3:41
> Subject: Mystery solved!
>
>
> > I've answered my own question which I posed in the email below! And it's
> such a simple answer! I now find that Mr. Wohlschlager married Miss Tadd,
> in 1917, and so all he did was to change his name to his wife's maiden name!

In 1960 I encouraged my first bride to to continue to use her own name professionally. Judith Thomas oboist and life tme principal cor anghlais with Sadlers Wells and then under its new name The English National Opera
Sometimes strangers would addres me as Mr Thomas.

my second wife's second husband became a Watkins for a period, and when I was married the third time, at Copenhagrn Town Hall,I appended the name Kristoffersen to my Danish documentation and driving license which meant the police addressed me as Herr Kristoffersen rathe than sas anotjher d****d foreigner.

I did it out of a sense of loyalty with the feminists. Why *should* a woman change her name ?

Watkins Kristoffersen was never used and if I had become Watkins-Kritoffersen the Church Ministry (which is the organ of CIVIL registration in DK ) would have reputedly charged me a fee of 4000 Danish kroners ie about £350 for the hyphen.

I remained Watkins on my passport and in UK:and it is one of our remaining rights in the UK to call ourselves what we will without any permissions or documentation.



Hugh W

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home