Friday, September 10, 2004

July the 14th: "The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me -- perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar -- that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name."

one of Jayne's favourite letters

Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

As for my little boys, they will grow as I have done, and never know a father's love and care.

read all of it - and think of the US Civil war to stop slavery - and the IRAQ conflict

Letters mostly to home to their loved ones by soldiers in 1860ies USA

from Bits of Blue and Gray

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home