Thursday, March 03, 2005

from Google Groups : soc.genealogy.britain

URGENT WARNING OF FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY

Dear All,


I thought I should alert everyone who might have used Research UK in the past to purchase certificates, etc. I have just discovered that £50.00 has just been taken from my bank account by Research UK in St. Leonards. I have not dealt with them for at least two years.

Through searching we have discovered that Research UK was sold to
Ancestor Detectives based in Hainault, Essex about two weeks ago.
We have spoken to them and they say they have received a number of telephone calls from people who have had money removed from their bank accounts, and that it is causing them enormous problems.

They have put it in the hands of Sussex Police. We have just been talking to the Fraud Office at Sussex Police ourselves, who are instigating a crime investigation. Should anyone need it, the number for Sussex Police is: 0845.6070999. They were extremely helpful.


My advice to anyone who dealt with Research UK is to check their bank
accounts as obviously this is very serious indeed.


Regards
Iris McCanna


==
Thank you, Iris, for reporting this & giving contact details for the police.

I have become aware of several other instances of this same scenario - in some cases the losses being greater than Iris's.


I've now been in lengthy contact with Sussex Police.

They will collate all reports on this.
Please contact their CRIB - Crime Recording Investigation Bureau on 0845 6070999.



They've now set up a reference number for the reports -
quote 587 on 3 March.

They *can* be contacted by email on contact.cen...@sussex.police.uk , but as they have one person dealing with email, and 50 on the phones, they suggest those in the UK use the phone!

Please do contact them if you're a victim of this.

This update of the situation has also been posted on the list
for admins of ENG/WLS lists.

===
Iris, you were not the only one, they got me for 90 Pound Sterling plus the new company charged me 19 Pounds Sterling for a birth certificate, I am not
impressed!!!

Colin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home