Sunday, March 27, 2005

GOTCHER Family Main Page

from Robbie Giles to Freepages-Help:


There is a class of software called Open Source which is free to users.
The software is created by people and then shared with the internet
community. I found several very good editors for creating webpages. I am
currently using jEdit 4.2 which requires java on your computer.

Here is one site for open source software. <http://sourceforge.net/>
Poke around, it is amazing what people have made available. Think of it
as computer geeks who didn't want to become hackers. Just kidding, I
think it is much the same as the genealogy community freely sharing
information.

The page for jEdit is <http://www.jedit.org/>

I create my pages in jEdit on my hard drive and upload to the RootsWeb
server using WS_FTP95 LE. It is how I started coding back when and I
just haven't switched over to editing on a remote server.

My site uses an external style sheet and four javascript programs for
the banner, navigation bar, bookmarks menu and the footer. I made one
change to my navigation bar program and it changed the appearance of all
my pages. Contact me off-line if you want a copy of the scripts and
style sheet. You can edit them to fit your needs.

Just remember, everyone was a beginner once and we all keep learning new
thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home