Friday, April 01, 2005

in my email from the Britsol_and_Somerset list:-

In looking through the 1861 census today, I was surprised to find an unusual
occupation - haggis farmer. Although these normally wild animals are farmed
extensively in Scotland, I hadn't realised that they were being farmed in
the South West of England in the 19th century.
Of course, herds of them are a common site in the fields of Scotland,
often feeding on the natural vegetation, or where farmers are rearing
them for their meat, on spaghetti trees that the farmers plant to provide a cheap source of carbohydrate. But I've never seen photographs of them
roaming this far south in England.

Has anyone else come across an ancestor in this line of trade ? I imagine
they would have been pretty scarce.

Best wishes of the day,

Mike Gould
Leicestershire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home