Sunday, October 04, 2009

TREHARRIS VILLAGE

TREHARRIS VILLAGE. - Google Search: "Treharris is a village in the very south of the Welsh county borough of Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan."

website dedicated to the Treharris Postal district:
"My name is Paul Corkrey, I was born at 76, Cilhaul, Treharris in 1959. My grandparents lived there, Edwin and Louise Corkrey, My father was Jimmy Corkrey, he was employed at the Trelewis drift mine.

My mother was Marion, she was born a Chapman, and was brought up in 50 High street Trelewis, now demolished due to subsidence in the village. I lived in the new Wimpey estate in Trelewis (built in 1960) throughout my Youth and attended Trelewis primary school before entering the grammar school at Pengam.

At sixteen I left school to take a mining apprentice at Britannia colliery, I was then employed as a Trainee at Taff Merthyr colliery in Trelewis. I had a serious accident in the B4 coal face on May 9, 1978 and I was the first major accident victim to be treated at the newly opened Prince Charles Hospital. The severity of the accident meant many months in hospital and over 40 operations.

I was married at St Mathias church by vicar Winkle on February 12 1983, after being allowed home from hospital for the week end. The reception was held at the New club, Treharris. I continued to have problems with my injuries and it was decided that the best option left was to amputate my right leg, Mr Hombal, my surgeon, and a resident of Treharris in Pantanas had saved my leg for nearly five years and was disappointed but at the end of the day I was newly wed and amputation meant a better quality of life for me than spending more time in hospital.

Following the miners strike I started work back at the Taff Merthyr colliery on the surface, I stayed there until a few months before it closed in 1993. I have two grown up sons, Geraint and Peter Corkrey and a Handsome grandson called Taylor. I currently live in Railway Terrace in Treharris and apart from a year in the Rhondda, I have always lived in the Treharris postal district.

I was visiting the Treharris Library in January 2009, and I could find very little information about the area around Treharris, the area was also poorly served on the internet. February 2009 and I was at the Merthyr Library, once again I was astounded at the lack of reference books about the bottom of the valley in comparison to Merthyr itself.

Carolyn Jacob, one of the librarians said that there was not really much about Treharris district online and she was trying to collate information herself, to help patrons who attended the library. She sent me the information she already had and I decided to build a website dedicated to the Treharris Postal district...that would include the six villages in the Treharris area, Bedlinog, Trelewis, Edwardsville, Nelson and Quakers Yard.

Although I spend a lot of time on my computer I am no expert, a lad from Cilfynydd, Ashley Bale, kindly built the website, using the information I had collated. We bought the domain name ”treharrisdistrict.co.uk” and will keep it live.

The site is absolutely non profit making, it will include business names that are currently thriving in the towns and businesses that no longer exist, no charge or fees will be expected for this, they are purely here as a record of life in the area."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home